List: June Movies
Posted on June 1, 2012 at 8:00 am
Happy June! Here are some of my favorite movie Junes.
1. Carousel One of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s most joyous songs is this tribute to the sixth month.
2. Seven Brides For Seven Brothers The girls captured by the seven Pontipee brothers sing a sweet song about June brides.
3. Good News Bubbly June Allyson has one of her best roles in this classic musical set on a college campus.
4. Gypsy Based on the real-life story of uber-stage mother Rose Hovick and the two daughters she put into vaudeville, this musical includes some of the greatest Broadway show tunes ever written: “Everything’s Coming Up Roses,” “Some People,” “Let Me Entertain You,” and more. When they were children, they were billed as “Baby June” and “Baby Louise,” and then when they got older, they were billed as “Dainty June” and “Dainty Louise.” The real-life June and Louise grew up to become movie stars and authors June Havoc and Gypsy Rose Lee.
5. “June Bride” Bette Davis plays a hard-working magazine editor who brings her crew to a small town to cover a “typical American” wedding. But nothing goes as planned and it is the editor who finds romance.
6. The real-life June Havoc (Baby June) dances with Harold Lloyd in “On the Jump” (You can also see the grown-up June do a very cute little dance in the original version of “Brewster’s Millions.”)
7. Walk the Line Reese Witherspoon won an Oscar for her portrayal of real-life singer June Carter Cash.
8. Rocky & Bullwinkle In the world of voice talent, June Foray is Meryl Streep crossed with Angelina Jolie. Among the hundreds of cartoon characters she has helped bring to life are Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Judy Jetson, Granny in the Sylvester and Tweetie Pie cartoons, and Nell in “Dudley Do-Right.”
9. Meet Me in St. Louis Before she appeared on “Lassie” and “Lost in Space,” June Lockhart was perfectly charming in a small role in this beloved family classic starring Judy Garland.
10. Junebug Amy Adams’ breakthrough role was as a young pregnant wife in this touching film.