Batman’s Nemesis Joker — Who Played Him Best?
Posted on October 2, 2019 at 8:10 am
As Joaquin Phoenix’s “Joker” comes to the screen this week, we take a look at previous incarnations of Batman’s most popular villain:
1. The Joker made his debut as a serial killer whose poison left victims with a gruesome rictus “grin” in the very first Batman comic, created by Bob Kane, Bill Finger, and Jerry Robinson. He was originally intended to be killed off, but the editor at DC liked him and he appeared in nine of the first twelve Batman issues.
2. Cesar Romero played Joker in the campy 1960’s television series.
3. My personal favorite — Jack Nicholson played Joker in the Tim Burton “Batman” movie opposite Michael Keaton.
4. Heath Ledger won a posthumous Oscar for his Joker, in the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight movie with Christian Bale.
5. I’m not a fan of Jared Leto’s Joker in “Suicide Squad,” but you have to admire his commitment.
6. The great Mark Hamill provides the creepy laugh and voice of the Joker in the animated series.
7. And now Joaquin Phoenix takes over in the first film to make Joker the lead character (we only glimpse future Batman Bruce Wayne as a young boy).