SAG Awards: DiCaprio, Larson, Vikander, Elba

Posted on January 31, 2016 at 9:03 am

Leonardo DiCaprio, Brie Larson, Alicia Vikander, and Idris Elba won the Screen Actors Guild awards last night. Elba, who also won for his television series “Luther,” was not nominated for an Oscar (he should have been), but the other three are now likely to be taking home statues on Oscar night.

“Spotlight” won best ensemble, and television awardees included Jeffrey Tambor (“Transparent”), Uzo Aduba (“Orange in the New Black”), Kevin Spacey (“House of Cards”), Viola Davis (“How to Get Away with Murder”), Queen Latifah (“Bessie”), and ensemble awards for “Downton Abbey” and “Orange is the New Black.”

The highlight of the evening, though, was the lifetime achievement award for Carol Burnett, presented by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, who said that their mothers got 90% of the credit for who they became, but Burnett got the other 10%.

Burnett spoke movingly about insisting on being allowed to host a variety show, even though the television executives told her only men could do it.
Related Tags:


Actors Awards