Olympic Movie Quiz: Answers
Posted on August 1, 2012 at 8:00 am
1. A warm-weather country competed in a cold-weather sport in which fact-based Disney film?
Cool Runnings, with John Candy as the coach of the Jamaican bobsled team.
2. Which Oscar-winning movie was the story of two Olympic runners?
3. There are two different movies about which real-life Olympic champion runner?
4. Which Olympic decathlete played himself in a movie based on his life?
Bob Mathias and his wife played themselves in “The Bob Mathias Story.”
5. Athletes from rival countries fall in love in this movie that is fiction in more ways than one — it has America competing in an Olympics that in real life the US boycotted.
The TV movie “The Golden Moment,” starring Stephanie Zimbalist and David Keith, was filmed before the US decided to boycott the 1980 Olympics.
6. One of the wildest Olympics movies ever made has a team from an almost-bankrupt country where all the citizens have super-athletic ability. Which classic comedian starred?
W.C.Fields starred in the very funny Million Dollar Legs.
“Animalympics,” of course! With voices of Gilda Radner and Billy Crystal.
8. Who stars in a movie about a gold medalist who defects who has to fight for his life when his former coach comes after him?
Dolph Lundgren in “Pentathalon.”
9. Which real-life Olympic star appeared in one of the biggest musical movie flops of all time and now appears in reality television? Bruce Jenner, stepfather to the Kardashians, starred in Can’t Stop The Music with the Village People. And it wasn’t that bad!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB8UXJE7zps
10. Which movie is the tragic story of one of America’s greatest Olympic athletes being stripped of his medals?
Jim Thorpe: All American with Burt Lancaster, directed by “Casablanca’s” Michael Curtiz.
11. Which Olympic medalist appeared in a movie about an athlete starring Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy?
Babe Zaharias appeared in Pat and Mike.
12. Which movie about the Olympics featured Cary Grant?
Grant’s last film was Walk, Don’t Run, with Jim Hutton as an Olympic competitor — in walking.
Bonus question: Which Olympic and world champion became one of the highest paid stars in Hollywood?
Skater Sonja Henie