Five Inspiring Lines from Tina Fey’s Bossypants
Posted on May 2, 2011 at 3:44 pm
I so enjoyed Tina Fey’s book, Bossypants. It is rushed and uneven in places, understandable given her many full-time roles as producer, star, writer, mother, wife, and America’s sweetheart. Still, the book is very funny and very, very smart. Here are five of my favorite lines:
1. Start with a YES and see where that takes you….The second rule of improvisation is not only to say yes, but YES, AND. You are supposed to agree and add something of your own….It’s your responsibility to contribute.
2. There are no mistakes, only opportunities.
3. A wise friend once told me, “Don’t wear what fashion designers tell you to wear. Wear what they wear.”
4. : “The show doesn’t go on because it’s ready; it goes on because it’s 11:30.” Fey adds, “You have to try your hardest to be at the top of your game and improve every joke until the last possible second, and then you have to let it go.”
5. I suggest you model your strategy after the old Sesame Street film piece “Over! Under! Around! Through!”