“Worth a Mention’s” Howie Weed” reports that a number of remakes are in the works. New versions of “Total Recall,” based on a Philip K. Dick story, “Clash of the Titans,” and “The Never-Ending Story” are all in the works.
The upcoming “Race to Witch Mountain” is being billed as “a “modern re-imagining” of 1975’s “Escape to Witch Mountain, not a remake. I’m looking forward to seeing the actors who played the children in the original in cameo appearances.
Which remake do you wish had never been released? Is there a movie you’d like to see remade?
This is what television used to look like. Watch this beguiling episode of “Father Knows Best” where Bud gets into trouble for shirking his chores to play a baseball game. It is impossible not to charmed by the innocent wholesomeness of the story and by the matter-of-fact portrayal of the role that the church and the clergy plays in the life of the family.
The lucky winners of the Mary Poppins 45th anniversary DVD have been notified. Many thanks to all who entered and here are the answers to the quiz:
1. Who is the author of the original book about Mary Poppins? P.L. Travers
2. When the children sing about their requirements for a nanny, what do they say she mustn’t smell like? Barley water
3. What is so unusual about Mary’s uncle? When he laughs, hard he floats up to the ceiling.
4. What does Michael want to do with his money instead of putting it in the bank? Buy birdseed to feed the birds.
5. Dick Van Dyke plays another role in this film in addition to his appearance as Bert. What is it? Banker the senior Mr. Dawes
6. What does the measuring tape say about Mary Poppins? “Mary Poppins — practically perfect in every way”
7. What animal does Bert dance with in the film? Penguins
8. What are the two things you can do with a chimney sweep to get good luck? Shake hands or blow him a kiss.
9. What happens to the other nannies who are applying for the job? They are blown away by the wind.
10. What helps the medicine go down? A spoon full of sugar!